Monday, October 10, 2011

Que delicioso!

Happy Columbus Day everybody! I finally completed my Q recipe, which means only 9 more letters to go!

When I first started brainstorming what I was going to make for Q, for some reason I thought I just HAD to do Quinoa. Why that was the first thing that came to mind I'm not sure, especially considering that I have never eaten Quinoa, much less cooked it before. So after browsing through many a quinoa recipe and finding nothing that I thought my friends would eat (which is a requirement), I decided to go back to the drawing board and went with one of my favorite types of food...Mexican!

I made a super easy Mexican dip for an appetizer:

1 can refried beans (I use fat-free)
1 packet taco seasoning
8 oz sour cream
2 cups shredded cheddar
cheese

Mix beans and taco seasoning. Spread beans in the bottom of a baking dish.


Spread the sour cream on top of the beans and then top with cheese. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes - until cheese is bubbly. Serve with Fritos.


This was so quick and with only 4 ingredients it doesn't cost much to make and it's really tasty! Next up was the main course, which I decided on farmers market vegetable
quesadillas and spanish rice.


Vegetable Quesadillas

Ingredients

1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped zucchini
1/2 cup chopped yellow squash
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
1 tablespoon olive oil
cooking spray
6 (9 inch) whole wheat tortillas
1 1/4 cups shredded reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese

Directions

In a large nonstick pan, cook red pepper, zucchini, yellow squash, onion, and mushroo
ms in olive oil over medium to medium-high heat for about 7 minutes, or until just tender.
Remove vegetables from pan.
Coat the same pan with cooking spray, and place one tortilla in pan. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of cheese evenly over tortilla, and layer 3/4 cup of the vegetable mixture over the cheese. Sprinkle another 1/8 cup of cheese on the vegetables, and top with a second tortilla. Cook until golden on both sides, for approximately 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove quesadilla from pan, and repeat with remaining ingredients. Cut each quesadilla into 8 triangles with a pizza cutter. Serve hot.


And Whitney made some yummy peanut butter chocolate chip cookies for dessert. All in all a great night with dear friends and good food!

My next post will be pics from my pumpkin party but in the meantime here's little Bells in her Halloween outfit (which she hates)!

No comments:

Post a Comment