Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Thanksgiving Blunders

Hope everyone has recovered from a fun-filled Thanksgiving break! I spent alot of time travelling to see my grandparents and other family and friends but I am so blessed that I got to see everybody!


My cousins Susanna and Sarah and I taking a break from lunch prep to hang out with my sweet granddaddy! He will be 85 in February!


Here is a pic of Jilly, Lahuta, and myself. Always love a bestie reunion!

I decided that I would make two dishes to share with everyone...one I am going to post later as part of my continued effort to cook through the alphabet but the other was a festive dessert I was so excited about! Like many other recipes I have tried lately, this one came from pinterest. I am not a fan of pumpkin by itself, but put in some sweetening ingredients and I'm sold! :)

Now I am going to post the ingredients and directions, followed by the "blunder", and then the correct way in case you want to make this in the future!

Ingredients & Directions


Cake Layer
1 box yellow/golden butter cake mix (reserve 1 cup of the dry mix)
1/2 cup butter (1 stick), melted
2 eggs

Mix together and spread into the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan.

Pumpkin Pie Layer
2 eggs
2/3 cup evaporated milk
1 large can (30 oz.) pumpkin pie mix

Mix together and pour over cake mix layer.

Crumble Topping Layer
1 cup reserved dry cake mix
1/4 cup brown sugar (packed)
1 tsp. cinnamon
3 tablespoons butter

Cut the butter into the dry ingredients until crumbly. Sprinkle over pumpkin layer.

Bake at 350* for about 40 minutes or until middle is firm and a toothpick comes out clean.

NOW...sounds easy enough right? Well a little fact that I wasn't aware of was that when it says "Pumpkin Pie Mix" it means "Pumpkin Pie Mix", not pureed pumpkin like I so naively thought! There's nothing like expecting a sugary treat only to take a bite into a bitter spoonful of pumpkin! So in the future, I will humble myself and follow exactly what the directions say, no more no less!

I tried to salvage this poor dessert by smothering it in Paula Deen's cream cheese frosting, but based on how much I had left to take home with me (joy) I would say the fam wasn't buying it! O well, you live you learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment