Saturday, March 12, 2011

Fancy Schmancy Lasagna

This marks my halfway point in my goal of cooking through the alphabet! Albeit a little behind schedule, I am very proud of this next dish. Usually if a recipe has more than 6 or 7 ingredients I steer clear! But my parents came into town so I knew with a little help from my mom, I could tackle this (what I thought was) a complicated yet gourmet dish!

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups boiling water
1 cup dried porcini mushrooms (about 1 ounce)
2 (3 1/2-ounce) packages shiitake mushrooms
Cooking spray
1 (8-ounce) package presliced button mushrooms
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups fat-free milk
1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled goat cheese
1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese, divided
6 no-boil lasagna noodles (such as Barilla or Vigo)
1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
2 cups chopped plum tomato
3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese

Preparation
Preheat oven to 375°.

Combine the water and porcini in a medium bowl; cover and let stand for 15 minutes. Drain in a sieve over a bowl, reserving 1 cup soaking liquid. Bring the soaking liquid to a boil in small saucepan; reduce heat to medium, and cook until reduced to 1/4 cup (about 5 minutes). Remove the stems from shiitakes; discard stems. Slice shiitake caps.
Note: You can really use any type of mushrooms that you like, so don't be deterred if you haven't heard of these listed above!



Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add porcini, shiitake, and button mushrooms, 1/4 teaspoon salt, thyme, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper; sauté 12 minutes or until softened. Add wine; cook 2 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates.



Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour, and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly with a whisk. Gradually add 1/4 cup porcini mushroom liquid and milk, stirring with a whisk until blended. Cook until mixture thickens (about 4 minutes). Remove from heat. Add the goat cheese, 2 tablespoons Parmesan, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and1/8 teaspoon pepper, and stir until cheese melts.



Spread 1/2 cup cheese sauce in bottom of an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange 2 noodles over cheese sauce, and top with half of mushroom mixture, half of spinach, 3/4 cup tomato, 1/2 cup cheese sauce, and 1/4 cup mozzarella. Repeat layers, ending with noodles. And since my parents are very health conscious, I opted for whole wheat noodles and it worked just as well!



Spread remaining cheese sauce over noodles. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup mozzarella, 1/2 cup tomato, and 2 tablespoons Parmesan. Cover and bake at 375° for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 25 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes.



It turned out even better than I thought it would! The main thing I learned from this dish is to not be hesitant to try something new, even if the ingredient list is a little daunting!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness ... my mouth is watering! I'm gonna try this this weekend. I'll let you know how it turns out!

    PS Congrats on being halfway through with your alphabet challenge!!

    ReplyDelete